CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Promise Made to Abraham

Through the Miracle promised to Abraham "for a father of many nations have I made thee… and I will make thee exceeding fruitful…" Genesis 17:5–6, and now through the Miracle of technology, we desire nothing more than to Link Abraham's Offspring.


Blog Purpose - Linking Family

Throughout my research I have hit many dead ends. So in an attempt to continue the research I have emailed hundreds of people and posted so many Surname boards with the hope that there would be a link, ALWAYS to no avail!

Feeling frustrated that I have not found ANY links to date; I created this Blog in order to provide ONE location for ALL "cousins" with the following Surnames to post their information, with confidence that someday a Link will be found!

(Please note that ALL Surnames on this Blog are Jewish)

ADELMAN, PRINCE, MEYER, DINOWITZ,

SAMUEL, HOVISS, COHEN, WILANOWICZ

TIENEMANN, STOCKHAUSEN, ELKAN-JUDA,

BAER, BOSSON, SIMON, LUKS

WALLACH, KULIES, BOSSON,

Instructions: Email your family information along with how this information was qualified. (i.e. birth certificate, personal knowledge, Census etc.) to linkabrahamsoffspring@gmail.com

Verification: LAO will create a family group sheet and a Pedigree Chart with your information and will email it back to you to proof.

Linking: Once proofed and returned to LAO, your information will be entered into our database and proofed for Links. If a Link is found - you will be notified immediately.

Information: All Pedigree Charts and Family Group sheets will remain in the system for future reference.






Monday, October 25, 2010

Adelman - "Ver is dos?" "Who is this?" - Ida

Just in the last few years, I have found, via the Internet, members of two branches of our family that we did not think had survived the Holocaust. My grandmother had two brothers and several cousins who perished, but one child hid under leaves in the forest and was not discovered by the Einsatzgruppe who were eager to move on to shooting elsewhere. And on my grandfather's side, I found a host of relatives whom we had not known of, since the only link was a photo, clearly of a relative, among my grandfather's effects. On the back, my mother had written, "Ver is dos?" "Who is this?"


A distant cousin contacted me to say she would be in Paris, and didn't we have relatives there? I said that we had tried to find any survivors of that branch, but as far as I knew there was only one, and he was too traumatized to speak about family matters when I met him - he lost his wife and seven small children, while he was off fighting in the Maquis, the French underground. But a visit to the Yad Vashem website showed that a few days earlier, someone had posted information about our family, so I wrote to the poster, who turned out to be the son (by a second marriage) of the elderly man I had met years before. He himself knew nothing about his father's first marriage, but when his father died, he found a hidden compartment in his father's clothes closet, with a letter from his father's first wife, dated July, 1942. She wrote that a policeman had tipped her off that she and her children would be deported the next day, he did not know to where, and so to be sure that her husband could find her and the children, she had photos taken of each of them, together with identification papers, and she placed them in this secret compartment that only the two of them must have known about. She died, together with her seven children, at Auschwitz, probably later that week. Her husband came back to Paris when it was liberated in 1944, found her letter, and started making inquiries, but the war was still going on. Gradually it became clear that three siblings, their spouses, his mother, and all the children in the family had been murdered.


I called the man who had posted, and he floored me by saying that his father had two OTHER sibling who had gone with him to fight in the Maquis, and one, his Aunt Ida, was still alive. She had exactly the same name as my mother, who had just died recently, never knowing of this other Ida. I organized a group of cousins, and we flew to Paris to meet them a year and a half ago, and we remain in touch. When I saw this Ida, I was floored - she looked exactly like my mother. She, in turn, looking through the pictures I had brought, picked out a picture of my mother at age 5 and said, "Ver is dos?" "Who is this?" I told her it was my mother at 5, and she pulled out another, of my mother at 70. She said, "She looks just like me. She must have been a strong woman!" I pointed out that in our family the women have been not only strong, but highly educated and professionals for generations, as her three daughters are.


It was joy mixed with tears, not to be able to share this with my mom, who would have loved to meet them.

1 comments:

Abrahams Offspring said...

Thank you for sharing this with me. As I stated in the blog, my grandfather, Abraham Adelman, who died at age 96 had the memory of an elephant. He would tell me stories of friends and travel, but when ever I would ask about family - he would always change subject.
I ask my father all the time to try and recall any stories or memories of his family -but he too will not even try. So when I hear stories like yours - I cherish them, whether they are of my direct family or not - it is still a story of our heritage! I do hope that someday through all of this work and effort, I might meet a relative that will share stories and pictures with me of our family.

I too have found ties to England, however my family is from Lancashire and Liverpool area. I love researching that line because I can read the language and England published census reports every ten years, so it has been easier to keep a close eye on the family as they age.

Thank you again for sharing this with me - I love it! Carole

Post a Comment